First Time Use Cleaning
• Place the Stagg EKG’s base and kettle on a flat, level surface.
• Remove Stagg EKG’s lid to add water. Do not remove lid if hot.
• After adding water, insert lid and ensure spout is not close to and/or facing a wall or cabinet.
• Plug the power cord into wall outlet - make sure to follow the safety guidelines above.
• For FIRST USE, rinse interior of kettle and then boil small amount of water (approx halfway full from the “max fill” line in diagram below). Make sure you fill to at least the min fill point in diagram below.
• Set goal temperature to 212 degrees Fahrenheit or 100 degrees Celsius to boil cleaning water. • Boil water for one minute, then turn off kettle.
• Discard initially boiled water; this water should not be consumed. Your Stagg EKG is now ready to use.
Turn Kettle ON/OFF
To turn Stagg EKG on, press and release main button (less than 1 second) and the LCD screen will light up. To turn Stagg EKG off, press button and release button again and the LCD screen will turn off.
Select Display Temperature Setting
Choose your preferred temperature setting of Fahrenheit or Celsius by switching the temperature toggle on the back of the base. See diagram below for reference.
Turn On HOLD Mode
Stagg EKG’s HOLD mode allows the kettle to hit your desired SET temperature and maintain that SET temperature for 60 minutes. After the kettle has remained seated on the base for 60 minutes, the heating element will shut off, and the kettle will idle for 15 minutes before the screen shuts off. This is an optional setting. See diagram 1D for reference.
• To turn HOLD mode on, switch the hold toggle on the back of the base so that the toggle reads “HOLD.” The screen will flash “HOLD ON” for one second.
• When Stagg EKG is in hold mode, “HOLD” will appear in the top of the LCD screen when your SET temperature is reached. This indicates that the kettle is in hold mode. See diagram 1E for reference.
• Once in HOLD mode, set your goal temperature with the steps above (in “Set a Goal Temperature”).
• If you lift your kettle off of the base and then return it to the base, Stagg EKG will reset the 60 minute hold and continue heating your water.
• Once 60 minutes have passed without lifting the kettle off the base, Stagg EKG will go into standby for 15 minutes, then turn itself off.
• To turn HOLD mode off, switch toggle so that the toggle reads blank.
With the "hold" switch off, the kettle will heat to your target temperature and hold it for 5 minutes OR until it is taken off the base. Once you place it back on the base, you'll have to rotate the dial and reset the temperature. Otherwise, the kettle will idle for 15 minutes (a flashing screen indicates this) before the screen turns off.
Initiate Brew Stopwatch
• Stagg EKG comes with a built-in Brew Stopwatch to keep track of your brew time. To start the stopwatch, hold the main button down for 2 seconds.
• The LCD screen will start a 3 second countdown, giving you time to get ready to pour. • After countdown, the Brew Stopwatch will start counting up by seconds.
• To turn the stopwatch off and return to the main screen, click the main button once.
High Altitude Use
At higher elevations, water will boil at a lower temperature. At sea level water boils at 100°C. For every 500 feet/152 meters in elevation gain, the boiling point for water decreases by approx. 1.1°F/0.5°C. Please use the following chart to know when your kettle is boiling:
Removing dial to clean:
Is your dial button sticking or not functioning correctly? Follow these steps to remove the dial and wipe it down:
- Use a flat object (like a butter knife or flat-head screwdriver) to remove the dial.
- Gently place the flat object between the dial and the base and slowly twist up to lift the dial off of the base.
- When doing so, be mindful of the spring located beneath it. Once the dial is removed, you can wipe the surfaces to ensure no particulates are present.
There are tabs underneath the dial that need to are realigned when put back into place. Below are some images illustrating this process.